Large Visitor Globe

My company website: ABVSciences

Please support this blog by occasionally clicking on sponsor ads.

Don't forget to subscribe to this blog by clicking on the RSS feed icon under "SUBSCRIBE TO"

Friday 10 June 2011

Brain activity at 5,895 metres (19,341 ft) above sea level

The other day my research colleagues and I where throwing around some fun ideas about combining our professions with some of our day-to-day activities.  Myself: I'm a scientist and developer of new signal processing technologies and methodologies to better understand brain disease and function. I'm also an avid outdoors man and weekend warrior.  The colleagues in the room at the time of this discussion also boast a fine mixture of scientific curiosity and enjoyment of the outdoors. Together, we came up with this crazy notion: use an Emotiv EPOC EEG headset to measure brain function during the ascent to the top of Kilimanjaro.  "I'll do it!", was my response.

The plans are not yet concrete and we have some technical issues to figure out but it looks like this is actually going to happen.  We'll be doing a "technical" test to see how feasible this will be in a 'race' held on the 16th of July near Victoria, BC, Canada (http://www.facebook.com/finhike).  The objective of this 'race challenge' is to see who, out of those persons entered, can go up and down Mnt. Finlayson the most times in 12 hours. (It is just crazy enough to get my attention.)

Our "Climb Mount Kilimanjaro" Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_167598523287675&ap=1

No comments: